Friday, November 28, 2008

Thankful



I've so enjoyed reading Nicole's posts about the things she's thankful for this week. I also frequently reflect on how abundantly blessed I have been throughout my life. This month I've enjoyed teaching the primary kids some of the songs about gratitude in the Children's Songbook -- there are some really beautiful ones. I love the chance that Thanksgiving gives us to focus on gratitude.

We had a wonderfully quiet Thanksgiving morning. Sarah worked hard to make place cards for the 16 Buskirks (and Johnsons) who met at Shari's for Dinner.  (Wish I'd thought to take a picture of the cute turkeys she drew and colored -- she did a really great job). Shari did most of the cooking. A delicious, moist turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potato pie, apple celery salad, fresh green beans, cranberry-orange sauce. I did the stuffing and Shauna brought her fabulous cinnamon rolls. Everything turned out wonderful -- simple but very flavorful.



The kids sat at a folding table with Andrew & Leah reigning from their high chairs and the adults (+ Rob) at the dining table. It was snug, but quiet cozy.

Afterwards we talked, played foosball,



watched tv, let the babies play together

,

and the kids with Grandma's fun toys



while Sarah & Tommy practiced their tying on the computer



Leah wasn't feeling great and decided to snuggle with Kevin for a little while.

After dinner had a chance to settle, we headed over to Kristina's parents house for dessert. Nobody does dessert like their family. Everything here was fabulous too. Shari brought a pumpkin chocolate cheesecake, I brought a french silk pie, Julie made a lattice-top cherry pie, a deep dish apple pie, a chocolate pie and a pumpkin pie. There was ice cream and whipped cream on the side. I'm still not sure it was a good idea to try some of everything, but it all sure tasted good! It is so great that we've all come to know Kristina's family. It was perfectly comfortable and fun to hang out all together after eating all we could =)

Yipee for Thanksgiving! The only thing that could have made it better was to have a second day of celebration with my family too =)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it sounds like so much fun (and good food). As honorary Buskirks, we would have loved to have been there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So here's the problem with your blog: there aren't any pictures with you in them. Well, not very many. But in any case, sounds like a fun time! Leelu is adorable, as usual. We can make up for lost family time when I'm out there in just a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete