Monday, May 21, 2007

Yipee for Nice People!

Love it when you can tell at 8:30 in the morning that it's gonna be a great day.  I turned on the AC Friday so my house wouldn't be too hot for bookgroup and was frustrated that it didn't seem to be cooling well.  Yesterday I went out to make sure everything was working and the big condensor fan was not even moving.  So I looked on the internet (of course) and they say -- nothing you can do yourself, call a repairman.  The home warranty just expired on the HVAC system in February so I was sure it was going to be a big bite.  Well this morning, I went out to take a diaper out and noticed a truck from the Heating guys ("Call Bryant to the Rescue" it says on the side of the truck) pulling up in front of my neighbors house.  So I rush out there in my jammies and tell him about my problem.  He says that he's got a very packed schedule and I should call the scheduling people at the office.  So I called and they said they'd have someone call later to set up an appointment and that it might not be for a week or so (which is not too terrible this week because it is supposed to cool down some).  Oh well.  SO then I'm sitting out on the porch waiting for Sarah's carpool as he finishes at the Sefcik's.  He asks if I got an appointment and I say they haven't called back yet.  He says, "I'll go take a look at it, that last appointment went really fast."  So he goes into the backyard for about three minutes, comes back and tells me to switch on the AC, and it works.  Some connector had come dislodged.  He said, I'm supposed to charge you, but it would take longer than the service did.  Have a nice day.  And drives off.  To the rescue indeed.  Yipee for nice people.  Find someone to be nice to today.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, lucky you! When our AC quit right after we moved (you know, in JUNE in WILLIAMSBURG), we called the Home Warranty people, who will fix stuff under warranty for $55, flat rate, no matter what the problem.

    Our problem? Somebody (somebody small, I'm sure) had flipped a red switch in our garage that unbeknownst to us is an emergency shut off of gas AND the a/c. The switch mentioned gas--didn't mention a/c.

    Yeah, we paid a guy 55 smackers to flip a switch. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete