
Here is my new scheme. I want to take the master gardening course that is offered every fall through the USU extension here in Provo. There are 40 hours of coursework and then you do 40 hours of community service (being a resource to people with gardening questions). I would love to have some actual knowledge about gardening and know how to recognize and treat problems. I want to know about good plants for our area and how to design beds and care for them. I want to not kill any more trees! I think this would be a really good, practical, flexible thing for me. Allen says I'm obsessed and I say he's a fine one to talk. I took some pictures of our yard recently.

Nothing really spectacular, but I wanted to catch the bulbs (already past prime) before they got destroyed by last week's hail storms.
So is this a non-useful thing? I admit that I don't really know what they teach these master gardeners or how badly the fact that I don't really know anything about gardening would impede my ability to do well in this. I don't know what it costs or how I'll convince Allen to mind the store from 2 to 4 every tuesday and thursday (especially since his faculty meetings and seminars are often at 3 on Thursday).

Mom won't be around to help me out. Bethy is invariably too busy during the day like that. I don't really have a plan. But it is nice to have an ambition and idea for once in my life. I have let myself kind of forget all of the scheming over the years.

Allen reminds me that I used to do plenty of it. His goals for me are probably more mainstream -- law, medicine, academia -- the things I used to plan to do. This just seems to dovetail better with my life right now. If only there were a master cook program as well. Though we do seem to be doing pretty well at eating good food when I actually plan ahead and look for interesting foods. The hard part is deciding what to try.
I say go for it, pay a babysitter if you have to. I went to a lecture here at the law school from some female faculty and found it really inspiring that they were able to find ways to manage a career and a family.
ReplyDeleteThe thing that stood out for me (and made me think of you) was when they said that they felt the best example they could set for their children was to show them that women are more than just "Mommy", they can be strong and independent with interests of their own.
You give everything to your kids, and that is admirable, but I think it would do wonders for your psyche to have something at least a few hours a week that is just for you.
So do it! Plants are awesome. I wish I didn't kill every plant I've ever tried to raise.
I think you should go for it. I think it sounds interesting, and it doesn't preclude you from doing something different later. I would probably talk to some people and figure out what you could do with this degree. It sounds like it would be fun program, and it would be fun to know that stuff.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a fabulous program. And, besides being beneficial outside of the family, I think it would have a positive impact on your family as well. I can see that it would add a positive aspect to your life (until the stress of studying, cooking and cleaning, not to mention getting the kids places. . .) I know that when I was studying Swedish, while it was a sacrifice for the rest of the family, it was a good experience for all of us and has really benefitted me.
ReplyDelete