Friday, July 7, 2006

Cousinly love

img_0496.JPGWe had so much fun visiting Jen and her family in Idaho. I think it is wonderful that our kids all know each other and have these periodic visits to keep their relationships current.

It is already getting more difficult to make these trips (scheduling around school and activities, the distances -- esp to NC and now WI, and also squeezing so many extra bodies into each others houses), but I sure hope that we won't let the distance grow so far that our kids won't even acknowledge each other in passing at BYU.

I was talking to Jen & Julie earlier and Jen thoughtimg_0487.JPGup the idea that when they're a bit older we could take turns hosting a week-long summer cousins camp together where they focus on some area -- music, science, classical literature, scrapbooking, art, etc. It might be kind of rough on the host (unless Nana & Opa came along to assist). I think it sounds fun. I've always been sad that I haven't been able to maintain cousin friendships -- I've got cousins my age in all three families (Moody, Archibald, & Hafen). Any other ideas on how to keep our kids from suffering the same fate?

2 comments:

  1. I have an addendum to the cousins not acknowledging each other on campus. Candice and I moved into Jared Archibald's (and family's) ward, and Jared helped us move in. Then Jared and Becca (she goes Rebecca now) had us over for dinner--BBQ. We also sat with them at the ward Fourth-of-July breakfast. So, I guess not all cousin interactions are created equal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think now that we're older, we are starting to wish we had closer relationships. I think if any of our cousins moved close by to us, I would make a real effort for us to do things together.

    ReplyDelete