On her birthday she got to pick breakfast and open a new book she'd been wanting.
She got to laze the day away reading and at dinner she got to choose a restaurant --Olive Garden. While we were waiting for a table, she opened her big present -- her very own Kindle. Boy was she excited. Now she won't have to go a year without reading (one of her worries with this whole Baltimore gig). She also got her very own scriptures and some other fun things from Nana & Opa.
On September 3rd, we had the big celebration. Grandma had taken Ella on a couple of special shopping trips where they picked out a beautiful white dress for the big day. She got her things all collected and we headed to the chapel. We realized that we'd packed up all of Allen's whites, so he was glad to have a tall father-in-law who he could borrow from.
It was a stake baptism, so we didn't have responsibility for the whole event, I did have a moment of panic. I'd prepared a talk on the Holy Ghost with a fun comparison to a traffic light and the stop, careful, and go signals that the Holy Ghost give us. Well, when they announced the talks, they said mine was on Baptism. I felt a rush of adrenaline, tingly fingers, cold sweat. Oh no! Luckily Julie Grover, who was giving the other talk, was feeling the same thing, we exchanged a glance and with relief I nodded to her that she should go up and give the Baptism talk. Whew.
The baptism went well, though the dress Ella wore was too big and kept floating up, so she had to be dunked three times. Extra clean!
It was great to have some family there with us. Kevin and Kristina, bless them, DROVE out from California (labor day weekend tickets were pricey) to be there for the big event. Shauna and her family juggled their crazy Saturday game schedule to make it -- Tom & Randy joined us later. Margaret Olderog was in town from Blanding and was also able to make it.
I am loving all your posts. We had a baptism that same day too! See my blog. I just put it on last night. It is fun that we have kids the same age.
ReplyDeleteAh!!! So many comments. Leah's face on the slide. Kate's glamor shot. Allen's stick jump. Everything else. And of course--Ella looks like an absolute angel in her white dress. This is one event I'm really sad about missing. Okay all of them. So fun!!!
ReplyDelete