Friday, June 20, 2008

Strange night

I am sad to report that the sleeping through the night was sadly not repeated.  What's worse, after she woke up repeatedly between 3:30 and 4:30 (or maybe between wakeups) I had the most bizarre and frightening dreams -- that Kate came into our room and threw up on my face, that robbers broke into our house and stole the dining room and kitchen tables and left the hallway cluttered with chairs so we had to struggle to investigate what was stolen.  These things may not sound scary, but believe me they were petrifying.  Allen, bless him, got up with all of the kids, fed them breakfast and got them interested in playing in the basement.  So I got to sleep an extra hour and now that I'm awake and Leah is down for a nap, I've got a really quiet moment here.  Sarah woke the girls up in her glee that the tooth fairy brought her $4 even though she didn't actually put the 2 pulled teeth under her pillow.  You see, Kate was intrigued by the rattly things in Sarah's little tooth holder and, convinced that they were a treat of some sort, ate them.  You begin to see why I subconsciously thought she might be throwing up in the night.  Sarah was almost inconsolably upset though we kept telling her that the tooth fairy was quite understanding about these things.  Allen convinced her to calm down and write a letter to the tooth fairy explaining things.  Here is what she wrote:

"Dear Tooth Fairy,

I had my front two teeth pulled out today.  I lost them.  My sister Kate said, "I ate them in my mouth."  I do not really belive her.  I know I wrought you a letter before, (she lost one of her teeth last time she got them pulled also) but I was extra careful.  They could be anywhere in the house.  If you don't belive me, look inside my mouth.  I won't be careless next time.

Love, Sarah Buskirk

p.s.  If you look under my pillow you will find the empty tooth holder."

What a cute kid!

5 comments:

  1. Poor Sarah! I'm glad the tooth fairy came through. Our tooth fairy has a bad habit of forgetting to leave money, so that we have to scramble to plant something at the last minute: "Are you SURE you checked? Oh, look, it must have gotten inside the pillowcase somehow...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That letter is so precious! I hope you'll keep it in a safe place for her to read someday when she's older. I laughed and laughed about Kate eating the teeth, though if she really did, then that is pretty scary. Do you think she really did eat them? And I can definitely relate to your nightmares--they may seem far-fetched in the morning, but during the night they can be terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah found one of the teeth this morning on the floor in my office. Allen and I spent about a half hour each looking with Sarah to no avail the other day. The teeth are basically the same color as the carpet. My guess is that the other one is hiding under a tuft of carpet also. Kate is very willing to gleefully admit guilt in almost any situation. We keep believing her because often she has put something into one of her little purses and knows exactly where it is. What a funny kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I adopt your children? Please oh please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. $4!!! Talk about inflation. I thought 10 cents for teeth and 25 cents for a molar was big money!

    ReplyDelete