We just had a wonderful visit out to California to spend Thanksgiving with Gma & Gpa B. Though they're dealing with so many hard things right now, they are still so much fun to be around. They take great care of us when we visit; it's a wonder they can ever get rid of us =) Grandpa was kind of tired and took the chance a couple of times every day to rest (kinda tricky with a house full of rambunctious girlies), but other than that he was really in good spirits and the same loving, funny guy as always.The kids were really patient with us as well. We really didn't want to pack the trip full of things to do, because we wanted to have those spontaneous conversations and interactions which happen when everybody is just hanging out together. For the most part the big girls amused themselves with Grandma's awesome educational toys and Kate ran roughshod over the rest of the house. We did heat the spa one day and went "swimming" (Allen even dared me to dive into the unheated big pool and swim across, which of course I couldn't resist since he had done it). We went on a couple of nice walks in the neighborhood and went to a park one day (when Kate demonstrated once again that she is not intimidated by things which ought to be too big or grown-up for her).

Kate, for some reason, wouldn't sleep at their house (the same thing happened in August when we were there). So I was feeling like a zombie much of the time and Allen did morning duty more often than I'm sure he wanted to. I just don't understand why children fight the two things that many grownups like best -- sleep and food. Wierdos!
In all it was a wonderful visit and I'm so glad we decided to bring the girls along. I even think we successfully avoided passing on any viruses to Grandpa. Good news. So they've just started into a three week course of whole-brain radiation which will hopefully conquer the brain metastases. Allen went along when they fitted him for the mask thing that holds his head in place while they zap him. Since he gets to keep it when this is over, we think it would make a great Halloween costume next year.
I'm glad you came out here. The Buskirks are great. I'm amazed at how positive they have been during all of this.
ReplyDelete