Monday, November 13, 2006

Deck your ears

So, I know that it is too early to start the Christmas season (we usually gear up the day after Thanksgiving), but since our Ward Choir needs to be starting the music for our Christmas Program, we've busted out some of the Christmas CDs. We have a problem. We don't have complete agreement on the Christmas music we both like.

Handel's Messiah and Bach's Christmas Oratorio are both great. We both like the Carpenters and Harry Connick's 2 albums (we like the first one better than Harry for the Holidays)

We listen to the BYU Celebration of Christmas album, and the MoTab's Sing Choirs of Angels. We also have some good German childrens choir CDs, but they get old after a while because all of the songs are so similar. So does Everywhere Christmas by the Von Trapp Family Singers.

A likes Bing Crosby, but I get tired of the Jingle Sisters after a few runs. (though my guess is that after 5 years of kid jabbering that I could probably tune it out now). He also likes some instrumental jazz albums --like Wynton Marsalis.

I like Evening in December, but Allen's ears are too good and it bothers him when the pitch sags. Same for some other solo vocal albums in my collection. Also Michael Mclean's Forgotten Carols fit into this category.

The girls vote for the Strawberry Shortcake Berry Merry Christmas album, but it only has like 4 songs on it, and we can't stand to have it on repeat.

We've got some others: James Taylor & Disney Candelight Processional which were given to us last year and we're not terribly familiar with yet.

So, what do you listen to? I feel like we need some upbeat, dancy Christmas music, but don't know what. I'd love to see an inventory of your collections.

2 comments:

  1. I probably gave you the Disney's Candlelight Processional, and it is one of my very very favorite CDs. It does have narration (by Phylicia Rashad) in between the songs though.

    I also have a Christmas CD by LDS acapella group The Gibbons Family. I think it's called "O Come Let Us Adore Him." It has some gorgeous songs on it.

    Fortunately I have been blessed with very tolerant ears so I don't have any of the same issues Allen has.

    Oh, we also have A Very Veggie Christmas which is a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete