On Friday, Allen and I saw a really great production of Macbeth at the new globe theater in Southwark. There were signs warning patrons that "This is a gruesome production of a brutal play." And true to word, they used lots of inventive ways to bring the gore of the play to reality for the audience. The acting and production were fabulous, though I must say that Macbeth is an extremely dark play. Here are some shots from the pre-play.
We were told beforehand that the standing seats really were the coolest for this play because the are so close to the action and the actors would interact with people in the pit, so we braved the three hours of standing. They had this polyester tarp thing covering the whole area with holes for peoples heads which was nice because it made sure people weren't too close and shielded us from the sun and from flying bits of gore.
Afterwards we wandered along the Thames and ended up at the Southark Cathedral for a sung eucharist service which banished the yuck from Macbeth quite nicely.
Yeah, seems like Shakespeare gets away with a lot of stuff just because he's Shakespeare. Macbeth is pretty weird. But cool that you saw it at the Globe! :)
ReplyDeleteTitus Andronicus is the most gruesome and horrible play I have ever seen or heard of, so yes B, I think you're right.
ReplyDelete