It was really so nice to spend time with them again. I have such fond memories of my time there as an exchange student in high school. I was surprised at how easily the german came back to me and what complex and interesting conversations we were able to hold. They are so informed and interested about things in the world. I also learned a lot of things about their experiences during the war when they were both small children. I'm very glad I added that trip to the London one. It has been such a long time and I lucked out by arriving just as their stunning garden was in bloom.
Christa had actually been wanting to take a sightseeing tour of the city for some time, and since lots has changed in the 11 years since I was last there, my visit was a perfect opportunity for us to take a bus tour of the city and a boat tour of the harbor. Amazingly enough, even Ingolf learned new things about this city that has been his home for so long.
I had the chance to spend an evening out with Imke, who sadly had to work most of the time I was there. We went to dinner in the new HafenCity--an entirely new section of the inner city that has just been reclaimed from industrial use. They also had a big family dinner with Christof, Imke and their families on Pfingstmontag. It was fun to see everyone and be part of the family interactions.
On my last night, Christa and I went to the Opera to see a fun production of Falstaff. What wonderful people they are and how nice it was to renew our acquaintence after so many years.
Sadly, I wasn't very good about taking pictures, but you get the idea I think.
Yay for your trip! I didn't realize what you were doing in Germany, but this is cool!! Glad you got to go back. You deserved this trip!
ReplyDelete