Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial

We drove up to visit Grandpa's grave on Saturday (followed by a very fun cookout with the Johnsons). Shauna had placed a really nice flower arrangement there.

We had some good conversations when the girls realized that the coffin was buried in the ground.  At first they were mad that somebody had covered up his coffin.  They thought it would just be lying there like it was at the funeral. They wanted to know how he could be resurrected with all of that grass and dirt in his way.  Ella still prays almost every day that Grandpa will come back to life and that Grandma won't be lonely.  Sarah still starts crying whenever we talk about it.  Such tenderhearted girls.  How I love them.

There are things that give me comfort.  My Grandpa Hafen died long before I was born.  Through my mom's stories when I was younger and through his journals later, I got to know him and he has had a place in my life and consciousness.  I know my girls will treasure the times they spent with Grandpa B and will appreciate him even more as the years pass and they learn more about the incredible man that he was.

On this memorial day, we were glad to be thinking of him and to be able to visit his grave.

1 comment:

  1. Even if they don't remember him I think they'll appreciate just knowing they got to see him while he was still alive. Your girls really are such sweet, sensitive souls.

    ReplyDelete