Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Annex

When we were at the Air & Space Museum in DC, I wished that there had been more planes for us to look at and learn about.  So we decided to check out the Air & Space Annex out near Dulles Airport.  My brother Bryant was in town for a law conference, so Bethy & Ben picked him up and we met for lunch at the Shake Shack in DC (really loud and not as good of food as the one in NY -- or maybe we weren't as hungry?) then drove out west of the city to the museum.  I'd been watching the news reports about the new Space Shuttle Discovery which was just moved there after its last space mission -- replacing the Columbia which had only flown inside the earth's atmosphere and was moved to NYC. And it was super convenient for Bryant's airport drop-off. So we were excited!

Fun Spheres outside


Cool Paint!


So many awesome planes


This was the hands-down favorite at the end of the day -- the SR71 Blackbird that can fly LA to NY in just over 1 hr. Not bad!


This plane has a funny banana boat float


The Enola Gay that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima


Some are more interested in planes than others -- honestly not the the most (girl)kid-friendly place we've been


Special Delivery!


Shiny Pan Am plane -- can't imagine that kind of service today -- just read they're going to start charging extra for aisle and window seats! Unbelievable!


I thought this little plane was awesome -- you can detach the wings and just drive off in the cockpit like a car! Sweet ride!


Cute kids with the concorde down below


I think Bry had more bonding time with the girls than with me =(


Love how the center of the prop matches Bethy's sweater


Walking along the bridge


There's a better shot of the Concorde


Noplace to sit


Tall guys


Pretty thrilling


Who knows what Allen was saying here?!? The battery was dying and it wouldn't focus so this was like the 8th take


Allen LOVES planes -- I am always sp surprised by how much he knows about the different aircraft and their histories


YOU SHALL NOT PASS!


This thing is freaking huge!


All together for a second


I'm so glad I have such cool siblings! I love to see and hang out with them


I was surprised by what it looked like up close -- not smooth and shiny almost quilted looking


"Cut here for rescue" struck me as funny for some reason


Cool


Look how thick these doors are on the landing gear


So that's what DARPA makes


Did I mention freaking huge?


You can totally see the scorch marks from reentering earth's atmosphere


Fun games on the carpet back here



And the obligatory swinging in a circle


A minute to rest and regroup


Cool mural on the centennial of flight


Rolling on the grass outside


And yowzers on the gas prices in Bethesda!


1 comment:

  1. Looks like so much fun! We will be seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete