Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Science Is Real!

Sarah's party on Friday was lots of fun. With the other two parties for ward friends, it was quite a weekend!

We started racing cars propelling them with magnets.

Then we built towers with gumdrops and marshmallows and toothpicks. I was amazed at how much better at this (and more focused) they were than the 6/7 year olds two years ago.


Next we started the magic show. We showed them simple and oscillating clocks.

Then we burned cotton and gun cotton

We made nylon rope

Elephant Toothpaste

At the outset, Allen had the kids try to dent this huge barrel. He even stood on top of it. Then he put a little water in it and set it to boil on a hot plate. When steam started to come out of it, he put a cap on the hole in the top and set the whole barrel in a tub of ice water.

And the thing totally imploded. It was quite spectacular.

We made slime with borax and glue.

Then we opened presents and finished off with individual molten chocolate cakes and liquid nitrogen ice cream (sorry, no photos -- the photographer was trying not to freeze off any little fingers while stirring the ice cream). It was lots of fun and Sarah seemed to really enjoy it. Thanks for playing!

3 comments:

  1. Tell Allen we are planning to fly him out for Andrew b-day when he is older so that we can have a science party that cool. :) I wish I lived closer. I would've love to have seen him in action... and try the liquid nitrogen ice cream. So fun! Happy birthday Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I didn't call Sarah! But I thought of her! You guys always do the funnest parties! I wish I could be there for one! Happy birthday Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey liesl-loo. another fun science party!!! sounds like you had some great experiments! although my experiments are no where near as flashy, our science party went well also. funny that you did the borax slime, as i considered that too, but could not find borax anywhere. was it easy to find in utah?

    so sorry to hear/read more about your friends. i know that if you spend time getting to know the people in your life and seek to love them as Jesus does, that you will find many opportunities to serve. but don't discount your strenghts and contributions already!

    ReplyDelete