Over the past few weeks I have been thinking a lot about the way God works in our lives. We always hear it, but I've learned again that it is through the hands of others that we most often feel his love.
I love reading the beautiful perspective of Tracy M who is incidentally the creator of the quilt and tote bag patterns that have been such a creative inspiration to me recently.
I have also been completely absorbed in the tremendous community of love and faith that has become visible in the story of my friend and former VTer Sara Staker's son Bronson.
The trials these two beautiful women are experiencing are so different, yet they share the window into the tremendous acts of love and faith that are going on around us.
It reminds me of the tender mercies we received from so many in the weeks after Leah was born and Allen's dad died. I was so grateful for and awed by the love I felt from so many people who so quietly and willingly lightened our load and hearts during those tough weeks. I vowed to become a woman of service like them. And yet, as I see others in need (and probably daily come in contact with many more who could use some love) I feel paralyzed and often oblivious. I want to help, but how? How do you become that woman who sees a need and knows how to fill it? Who knows how to graciously offer service without awkwardness? Who really looks at those around her with an eye to be the hands of the Lord in their lives?
In the big cases that everyone knows about, it seems that there are so many others who are doing everything already. What more could I offer? In the small cases, I fear I rarely see them. I hate to think that I am so self-centered, but I must be. Far too often I hear long after the fact about the trials and pain of someone I see and think I know and I've had no idea. I do pray for inspiration to help others and to see needs around me and to be an instrument. Am I just no good at listening? Or do I just live my life on the fringes so that by the time I know what's going on, I am superfluous?
Perhaps I am looking beyond the mark and should instead see the needs right in my own home and family. It is certainly true that I am not always the mother, wife, daughter, homemaker that I could and should be. Does God not trust me with more until I can show good stewardship over what I already have? And why, for the love of pete, can I not do the things that I know I should -- that I really want to to have the kind of home and faith and relationships that I say I want?
Again this week I have seen the miracles that God has wrought. And again I plead that he can help create in me clean hands and a pure heart. And eyes that see a way to help and the will to carry it through.
i've been reading about bronson off and on by clicking on people's links the past couple of weeks...what a miracle! i've tried the past couple of years to follow promptings when i feel them...meaning, if someone pops into my head, i'll call or email to check in with them. but there have been many times where life gets in the way and before i know it, it's been a week (or more) since i had that thought, and i wonder if i'm too late. did i miss that chance to help out? or to just listen?
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way all the time! It's so hard to think of others when circumstances require me to be thinking about my own life (read: my job) most of the time. But I think you're very caring. You are always the one I can count on to give me sympathy (and not criticism) when I need it. :) That means a lot!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, Liesl.
ReplyDelete