Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Getting our feet wet in DC

We've got a couple of kids home from school today -- new place new germs -- so I'm taking this chance to blog.

Last week the kids had Monday off from school for the end of the quarter, so we decided to introduce them to our nation's capital.
We got everybody bundled up because the beautiful weather we'd had over the weekend deserted us.


Leah took the car ride as a chance to relax and have a cool spa (wet wipe) treatment.


Yucky Weather, Allen has to concentrate



Starting off at the Washington Monument which is closed to visitors due to damage from last August's earthquake. Weather is cold but dry. We decide to do monuments first and then retreat to a museum when the rain predicted for the afternoon arrives.


View of the White House in the back ground (cue West Wing theme song)


Someone forgot to tell the rain that it was not supposed to start until the afternoon. By the time we got to the WWII Memorial we were soaked. But we decided to press on.


Vietnam Wall


Honest Abe (We discoverd that there are exhibits in basement under the Lincoln and Jefferson Monuments that are heated and enclosed. Things I never knew though I've been to DC lots of times). Gotta say that the Gettysburg Address still moves me to tears.


Korean War


Awesome new MLK Jr memorial -- they're still finishing some bits of it -- he's got a great view of the tidal basin


We all liked the FDR Memorial the best. It is in 4 sections to symbolize his 4 terms and has fabulous fountains everywhere. We were literally the only ones there.







We were also all alone with Mr Jefferson


I have to add a little aside here about my children. I cannot begin to describe how pleased I was with their behavior on our freezing cold, wet, trek through the monuments. They were cheerful and willing and there was no complaining. At one point Leah said, "My legs are tired of walking" to which Allen replied, "Let's run!" and she squealed with joy and dashed out into the rain. At this point it was well past lunch time, but there was really nowhere nearby to eat. We were planning to go to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and as we passed it on our quest to find food, the kids said "we're right here, let's just do it now so we won't have to come back." Even though they were hungry and it was a 40 minute tour. So we did:


They didn't allow photos in the tour, but it was very cool to see the money-printing process and learn about all of the security features.

We found some food and wandered a bit on the mall, then decided after all to save museums for another day so we could get home in time for an early bedtime.


Fun Day!

3 comments:

  1. Love everything about this!!!! Wish I could have tagged along!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even dare hope my kids will be as well behaved when we come to D.C. this summer, but at least I can hope for slightly better weather (warmer, at least).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are AWESOME parents, but more than that....your girls are incredible!

    ReplyDelete