So, there is a strong possibility that we are going to ditch our charmed life in Provo, rent out our house and move to Baltimore for 8 months starting in January. Allen has a great opportunity for a sabbatical there that would really be a great professional move for him and push his science into a new area.
I'm excited in many ways. I've always wanted to spend time in DC and we'll only be an hour away -- think of it, the smithsonians, memorials, zoo, and all of the great things so close! and to not have to visit them all in a row over the space of 2 days! Wow!
The kids were all sobbing at first when we started talking about it. "But my friends! You have no idea what it is like to be a 3rd grader mom!" But they're warming to the idea. And (lunacy of lunacies) I am thinking about home-schooling them while we're there so we can focus their curriculum on the unique opportunities there.
I'm trying not to freak out because at this point there is very little I can do to prepare. We're going to have to find a home to rent and to swing it all financially will have to rent our house here as well. No idea how that will work out. Hopefully we'll get a grant of some sort to make the budget not so tight. It will be a really great experience for our family and somehow it will all work out. But it is guaranteed to make me crazy in the process.
The thing is, that our life here really is charmed. Allen's renaissance choir has been so fun. I love my YW calling. He's loved the music program and has some cool opportunities there next year. The kids love their school. We've found a great situation for everyone next year. We finally feel like we've made some true friends. Some of these things will be here when we come back. Some might not. Why is nothing ever uncomplicated?
I'm SO EXCITED that you will be in the East for a little bit! What a fantastic opportunity for y'all, but mostly for us ;). The initial and final transitions will be tough, no question, but in between those short periods of stress will be a fun time the kids will never forget. And yes, your charmed life will still be there when you get back (although your tomatoes might be dead---ours probably are).
ReplyDeleteI can't wait!!
I'm so excited for you. Unfortunately, we'll be out of the country then. Yes, things are moving forward with our move--we will probably go for a year starting in August. Anyhow, I hope you do go. I think it will be fabulous!
ReplyDeleteI hope you do it. I've told Ryan if he gets the chance to work in England for 1-3 years we're doing it. He doesn't need to check with me lol.
ReplyDeleteI think it sounds fabulous. Not so sure about the homeschool part - I personally would tear out my hair and my husband would come home to a line of little coffins on the front lawn - but I know that there are many people who successfully do it. But really 8 months is nothing in the grand scheme of life. I wonder if we can swing a visit...?
ReplyDeleteMy name is Bethany Curd and I approve of this plan.
ReplyDeleteCan't believe I am only seeing this now. Sounds like a great opportunity. You would be a great home schooler (especially if you know it is just for that year). Go for it!
ReplyDelete