Friday, March 6, 2009

Baptism Day

Last Saturday, our little Sarah was baptized.  She has very diligently been preparing for many months -- reading the Book of Mormon, thinking about the Joseph Smith story, trying to decide what her favorite scripture story and primary song were (we had a heads up from the bishop that he'd ask at her interview).  We've had FHE lessons about baptism and the holy ghost.  She and Ella learned a lovely baptism song which they sang a few months ago at a friend's baptism.  We had a chance to go through the open house of the Draper Temple on Friday and to talk again about covenants and feeling the spirit.   All of that came together on Saturday to make for a lovely day.



Sarah had some great answers to the bishop's questions.  She told the Joseph Smith story in great detail, talked about how she wanted to be baptized to have the opportunity to be like Jesus and to live the commandments.  Her favorite scripture stories were about Jacob (especially his willingness to serve to earn the chance to marry Rachel) and the 2000 stripling warriors who "learned in family home evening that if you don't doubt, you don't die".  Her favorite hymn is the Battle Hymn of the Republic and she couldn't choose a favorite primary song because she likes them all so much.  She is a sweet and conscientious girl, our Sarah.



We were glad that so many family members could make it even though I didn't think to issue engraved invitations to any of them (Growing up in Hawaii, there was never an expectation that these events were big family gatherings -- I've gotta say, it sure is nice to have the love and support of family nearby).  Kev, Kristina & Andrew flew out from CA, the Johnsons (minus Shauna who had to work -- crazy tax season), Shari, Ines & Spencer, Nana & Opa, Karen (the Garnicas had to cancel at the last minute due to illness), and Katie came as did our awesome home teacher & his wife (who took the photo) and Sarah's 2nd grade teacher.



The weather was gorgeous, the talks were short and full of the spirit, the baptism went well, the confirmation was a lovely blessing, the luncheon was a really nice chance to visit with everybody.  It really was a wonderful day.

6 comments:

  1. liesl, how lovely!! it made me think back to when we met up in boston and told me you were pregnant with her...how time flies! it's definitely a reflection on you and allen on what great parents you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so sweet. I feel like I know her through your blogs... but I don't think I have ever met her. Maybe this summer when our babies are not sleeping. Remember my boys have to meet your girls if they are ever going to get together later in life.

    Congrats on the Baptism.

    P.S. We were at the Temple open house that same day! I can't believe we missed each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! What a wonderful experience. Good teaching, mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that Sarah had such a wonderful baptism day. She is a sweet girl and I am so proud of her. Just wish that we lived a little closer so I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet little Sarah! I'm so sad I couldn't be there. That big group picture is making me jealous and happy at the same time. Your girls look really cute in it, not that that needs to be said..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bryant said that his post had everyone worried that I was talking smack and being offended about not being invited. I hope you weren't worried about that! I do wish we could have been there though and joined in for such a special day for Sarah.

    ReplyDelete