When we were married, Uncle Bruce talked about how marriage is more that a declaration of love between two people -- it is a welcoming into a community which has a huge stake in the success of the union. I have very conflicted feelings about the whole gay marriage debate, but I do know that if more marriages were happy and functioning as they ought--upporting children and adults in the bonds of love, our society would be much better off. How do we encourage people to make their marriages better? How do we do it ourselves?
One of the hardest things for us over the past couple of months has been knowing how to support each other when we're both kind of having a hard time emotionally dealing with things that we can't really help. There has been kind of a fellowship of helplessness and a common desire to seek faith and comfort from the spirit.
The girls looked so beautiful in their little red dresses and took their responsibilities as flower girls very seriously. They held basekets of favors (candy bags) at the reception and went around offering them to people. Little Kate was so determined to be like the big girls that she knocked over Sarah and Anna to steal their baskets so she could carry one too. Her most excited moment was when a song from High School Musical came on -- she headed straight to the dance floor to jam. She also go to hold the boquet while Bethany cut the cake. She kept resting her cheek against the flowers. It was so cute. I think/hope that Kim & Julie got photos of some of these things, because I didn't have my camera with me. The big girls were such a great help and made friends with the children of some of our cousins who came to the reception.
It was a wonderful evening and we're glad that it is over =)
It sounds like it was a lot of fun. I was sorry that I couldn't be there. I liked the pictures and the post. I think it's interesting to think about the unique perspective getting married in the temple has on marriage.
ReplyDelete